Disability insurance helps replace a major portion of your income when you are sick or injured and unable to work. Some people think of it as “Income Protection”. Others view it as a way to protect their home since a mortgage payment is often a family’s most significant monthly expense.
Having disability insurance can provide a sense of security, knowing that if the unexpected should happen, you’ll still receive a monthly income.
If you think about it, everything you have today- your home, car groceries, savings- basically your lifestyle, depends on your ability to earn an income.
Most people are quick to insure their possessions, such as their home and car. And they generally have life insurance that would provide for their family.
But the one thing that makes all the possible is your income. It’s your most important asset. So, protecting it with disability insurance isn’t just a good decision- it’s essential.
Do you need Disability Insurance?
No one wants to think about becoming disabled. But the risk is real. What are the odds?
- An illness or accident will keep 1 in 5 workers out of work for at least a year before the age of 65.
- Your chance of missing at least 90 days of work for at least a year before 1 in 32.
- The risk of disability is greater than the risk of premature death.
What would you do?
If a disabling sickness or injury happened to you today. How would you pay your bills? Would your savings cover your expenses for 60 to 90 days? That’s assuming the disability is short-term. What if it wasn’t?
Research conducted by the America’s Health Insurance Plan indicates that most Americans cannot afford to miss more than two months of work without having to borrow money, However, it wouldn’t be feasible to get approved for a loan without an income.
Think about how stressful it would be to cope with a disability. Having disability insurance would help relieve that added stress of losing your income.
Do you have other sources of income?
- Employer-provided Disability Insurance.
- Government Disability Insurance.
- Worker’s Compensation.
When should I buy Disability Insurance?
The best answer is now. The sooner you consider disability insurance protection, the better. Here’s why:
- Losing your income due to a disabling illness or injury could put the lifestyle you’ve worked hard to build at risk.
- A disabling illness or injury can happen at any age, Then it would be too late to purchase this valuable protection.
- Premiums are based in part on your age at the time of purchase. So, waiting will cost you more.
There’s no obligation to talk to an insurance agent. Our disability insurance experts would be glad to help you review your needs and the options available to fit your budget.